FLOWER DRAWING TUTORIAL: HOW TO DRAW AN EASY FLOWER

Drawing flower

If you love drawing flowers as much as I do. This is the site for you cool drawing idea. We're going to work through twelve floral doodles that you need to know. I know you can master so let's get started. Today we are going to draw twelve flowers. I know you can get the hang of all of these. So, let's just jump right in the first one is a chamomile flower it sorts of looks like a daisy or a black-eyed Susan. We start with a semicircle there and then I do a couple lines and I follow those lines. As I draw these sorts of raggedy petals each petal is a different size. A slightly different shape and you can do these on an angle.



You can certainly add two or three but they all follow the same formula. Let's go over it in pen so you just go around those lines and draw these petal shapes. Each petal can be a little different a little bit of line shading. There helps to show the shape of the petals and for the second one it's that semicircle. I kind of make it a little bit lumpy and then of course those petals. You can add as many as you like a little bit of line shading. I just do a sort of scraggly leaf and then for the large stamen that semicircle. You want to do a little bit of stippling I'm doing some dots and some curving lines. Some scribbling just to add a little bit of contrast.

We've got the white petals and the darker stamen in the center and that's all there is to it.Some of you may find that this topic moves too quickly and for that reason. I've created floral worksheets drawing and you can grab those over on my site.We're doing hibiscus and I start with a circle. It's my guide it shows me where the flower is and then a circle in the center marks. The center of the flower you guys knows this and I am doing these petal shapes. We just move out and we're going to do five petals and I sort of worked them out in pencil. First making sure that I can fit five petals there and each one overlaps the one before it. So, we've got five petal shapes and then I'm going to erase the center.

I'm going to draw the stamen which is a curving line and with a few little bumps on the end very simple. I'll go over it and pens you can really see it. So, we've got these five petals shapes each one overlapping. The next and I'm avoiding the center of the flower where the stamen is.Then next of course we will draw that stamen in it's just a simple line with those little bumpy bits on top curving line. This is where the hibiscus really comes together you want to add some dark line shading. All around that stamen so that you can really see it first of all you. You see that Center by creating the contrast. It also helps to create a bit of depth that shows that the flower is receding in the center.

Drawing flowers

Few more lines on the petals give those petals a bit more shape and texture. Then you're all done our next flower is one of my favorites. The gladiola so we start with a line just a vertical line. Then we do these little oval shapes little buds at the top. We start marking where the flowers will be and they get larger as we move down that line down. The stem so just places some circles.There the ones at the top near the buds are sort of half open and then we draw some little semi circles. Towards the bottom make the edges of our circular flowers. A little more ruffled and that's all there is to it. Let's go over it and pen so we've got the stem and these little tears shaped or oval shaped buds at the top.


The stem is dark it's black the flowers are white. We'll do these tiny little flowers at the top. They're sort of just random shapes with a nice ruffled edge. As we go down, we get these larger circular flowers but of course the edges of the circle are ruffled.  A little semicircle towards the bottom. A little curving line towards the bottom and then this little bit of line shading shows how the flower is opening up. The flowers on the left-hand side go out towards. The left the page and the flowers on the right open up towards the right-hand side of the page.Add a little more line shading to show the depth in each bloom. You're all done next, we're drawing a very popular flower whose name I can never say and that's the anemone.

We'll start with a circle as your guide. So, you know where you're placing it. Another circle to mark Center and then we do these petals. So, start with the top and the bottom don't worry too much about the shape and then do the sides. We're going to fill in four more sort of peeking out in the corners there and you might. Add another one or two along the bottom. Then we'll start to add more detail maybe a leaf or two. We'll go over and pen so you can really see the detail here. The stamen in the center is circular and I always sort of scribble it’s in. So, it's not too dark and then we do all these little lines moving outward from Center.We top those lines with a bunch of little dots the anemone has this wonderfully detailed stamen.

That is just so much fun to illustrate. As we go over these petals, we're going to give them a little more shape. You don't want them to be too round wiggle that pen. A little bit makes them a little bit broken a little bit wonky. Just make sure that the petals are not too smooth otherwise it looks almost cartoon like. So, you want this very perfectly imperfect petal and leaf shape. I think is what brings the flower to life now. I'm coming back in with a smaller fine liner and doing just a bit of line shading. These lines move out from the center. They follow the shape of the petal. I'm using two fine liners today. From all of my outlines or contour drawings I am using the pigma micron.

Drawing a flower

Five and for all the line shading the pigma micron one the smaller nib. Next, we'll draw rose hips.Now technically they're not a flower but they are part of the rose. I love adding berries as part of my floral designs. So, start with some oval shapes you can group them or they can all be separate. We'll join them together with a few branches. A few lines and we'll add some leaves. These are sort of a pointed oval shape for the leaves. You can do as many as you like. We'll go over this in penso surround those ovals. They don't need to be perfect we'll go over the branches for these little nubby bits at the top of the berry. You just want to do some vertical lines. I'll start sometimes with a curved line and then some vertical lines.



But even a dot will work there one dot and for the leaves. I am adding some toothy edges. So, I'm using my pencil ovals as a guide. I'm just going around and adding the little teeth.I'll add some lines as well but all of that is optional. You don't need to get this detailed and I think I'll finish it with just a little bit of line shading. On the side of each rose hip of each berry here's. Another favorite flower of mine the lilac. So, I am starting with a curving line this is a guide to help you draw the flower. We're going to do this sort of drooping conical shape again. It's part of the guide to help you know where to draw everything. You can add a leaf shape or two.

We go up to the top of this cone shape. We do some little ovals and then those ovals slowly morph into tiny little blossoms. Little for petal flowers and I'm just sort of going over the shape of the leaves here and working out the shape of the lilac. I'll go over everything in pen so you can really see the top little blossoms are just little oval shapes.They give way too tiny for petal flowers and then these little four petal flowers get larger. Of course, not everything needs to be a full flower you can do just some little ovals some little broken flowers. You can abstract things slightly and you want to make sure that the shape of this lilac is not too perfect.

Drawing for flower

It shouldn't be this perfect oval shape. It should be a little wonky. A little unbalanced because that's the way things are in drawing nature. So, anything too perfect or too round in the cartoon light and not very realistic. So, I'm working on messing up the shape a little bit. I've done the leaves here. I'm just going to add a tiny bit of line shading to them. If you want to be really extra you can add a tiny bit of line shading. At the center of some of those little blossoms and that will just help bring. The lie lock to life and give it that little bit of extra contrast. Next let's draw poppies so they are similar to the anemone.In that they have a large stamen and big petals but they lack that structure.


They're a little floppy and so I want to show that. I'm starting by drawing one poppy on an angle with just the big floppy petals. The next one we're going to start by drawing a guide we do a circle, mark Center and where we mark that Center affects. The length of each petal that front petal is very short. It's coming towards the viewer. So, we can't see it in its entirety and that helps with the depth and perspective that's for shortening. Let's go over this and pen and we'll talk about it. Some more we've got one poppy with its big floppy petals sort of facing away from the viewer. It's on an angle and I think that looks nice out of it align shading.

Next one we've done a circle then we mark Center and that center is close to one side of the circle. Which means that these petals on the other side are quite large. The ones on this front side are quite small and that really is all about the foreshortening.It adds that wonderful perspective that makes our flowers. Look more realistic and we'll talk about that a bit more. When we draw our buttercups but for now let's how to draw a calla lily. So, I start with you do this in pencil u-shape. Then you're going to drop down to one side and you're going to make this big swooping shape go up. Around and you can do it a bunch of times to rework it. Make sure you get this shape looking just the way you want it.

Then you're going to thicken these front bits. A little bit and then we put that little stamen in the center stem with maybe one or two leaves. Let's go over it and pen the u-shape. At the bottom and then up and around and then we want to thicken these bits at the front. So, we'll add an extra line there the stamen in the center. Just a simple curve stem and one or two leaves.My leaves are just very nondescript to add a bit of contrast. I'll add line shading to those leaves. So, I'm not coloring them in dark black. I'm just adding some limes and then on the flower. We'll add just a touch of lime shading the calla lily is that beautiful white. So, we don't want to color it in too much.

Drawing with flower

A marigold is our next flower and this one starts again with a pencil guide. Draw your circle and then you're going to do a little circle. Towards the top of that circle and then you're going to do these rings going outward. But of course, the Rings eventually can only be sort of semi circles. Towards the bottom here and still working in pencil. We're going to start doing these shaggy ruffled little petal shapes. We use those rings that we laid down to help guide us. That's why we call it our guide and we're going to use them to just help you know where to place those petals. You'll see that I stopped using my rings. Maybe mine were just my rings were a little too large.



I'm sort of feeling that now and that's totally fine. I can rework this as I go and that's again. Why we are doing it in pencil first? Because this is quite a detailed flower but I think when it comes together. It just has this wonderful cheerful look. The miracle this big, Shaggy and has all these tiny little petals with the ruffled edges. So, I'll start going over it in pen with my o-5 pigma micron fine liner. I'm just going around and around eventually. I get to a point where I've got so many pencil lines. So many pen lines that I want to just get rid of all that pencil. I'll come back in again with pencil and figure out.

The big flower the big blossom and then of course I'll finish it in pen. But this marigold I think it looks quite complicated or it looks quite detailed. But it's actually so much fun to draw especially.If you start with that guide in pencil. I'll add some line shading to the leaves to darken them to create that contrast between leaf and flower.  A lot of little line shading on those petals just following the direction of the pedals. It goes a long way and it really makes that flower pop. Next, we're going to work through our perspective again and we're going to draw buttercups. So, I'll start with a circle who you guessed it a couple circles. Actually, these look good in groups. Then you're going to mark your Center and for this top one.

I'm going to put the center right in the middle. So that means this will be quite a flat Buttercup. All the petals are the same size and for this other one though. I'm going to place the center towards the bottom of that circle. It means these back petals are large well the front one is quite short. Because again it's shortened because it's coming towards our viewer. When things either come towards us or recede away from us.The eye doesn't perceive them in the same way. So, we have to capture that on the page. When we're illustrating, I'm decided to redo this one and do five petals instead of four. But the petal shapes just make sure that they're not too smooth.

Drawing flowers easy

You want to give them a little bit of that wonkiness to make them look more realistic. Here on the front one you can see that I've really shortened up those front petals. The stamen is just these vertical lines in a circle shape. Then I decided I'd like to add one more so let's go through it again start with the circle mark your Center. This is another flat one just coming face on towards. Our viewer five petals four or five petals and then the statement is these vertical lines. Around a circle will lengthen those stems will add a little bit of line shading. Those are our buttercups you can also add some leaves. If you like pretty much the same drill for the leaves.

I start with a guide just drawing in the oval leaf shape in pencil. When I go around, I can add a bit of a tooth the edge to those leaves. You know additional details when I work on it. In pen so always start in pencil and set yourself up for success. If you're following along, we've now done 10 flowers. We only have two to go our 11th flower is foxglove. This one we start with a vertical stem and these little teardrop shapes at the top. The teardrops get larger and larger and more multiple as we go down. The length of that stem so everything gets a bit wider. The flower really fills in you might. Add a leaf or two but towards the top the teardrop shapes are tiny.



These are just the little buds and then the blossoms get larger. They sort of droop down and they hang in big clusters or groups. Like all the flowers you want to wiggle that pen a little. So that the edges of the blossom are not too smooth. They should be a little bit a little bit weird and one or two might have a little stem.There just to show the shape of the flower or how the flower comes together. I'm mongering to tuck one long oval shaped leaf in behind. We're going to add some details the blossoms of the foxglove are a conical shape. So, we want to show that so I'm adding these tiny curving lines. They're sort of upside down and then we add a bunch of line shading coming out from each curving line.

That's just to give these blossoms a little bit of depth and show that cone shape. We don't want to get too detailed or too realistic about it. Because this is just a little doodle. But that's one way that you can capture. The simple cone shape of each blossom without making the flower too complicated. I'm darkening the stem and all the leafy areas to give me a nice contrast bit of line shading on the leaf. A bit more line shading on each of those cone-shaped blossoms. We are all done okay last flower you know I had to do a rose right. So that's our final one we start with a circle. It's a guide then you're going to mark Center.I always do a few dots and circles for the center stamen and we do these broken curving lines surrounding.

Drawing of flower easy

The center then as we move outward those curving lines turn into small petals. Maybe three or four and then we move out. We add another circle of petals or another ring of petals. You don't need these petal shapes to be symmetrical one side could have a few extras. Let's go over it in pens you can really see. So, the dots in the center or little circles in the center. They're surrounded by semicircular lines. That are sort of broken and curving and then those lines slowly give way to larger petal shapes. There might be three or four around the center and then from there. We keep adding these petal shapes and I wiggle that pen. I shake the pen a little so that they don't look too perfect. We just keep moving outward making the petals.



A little larger and larger and at a certain point you have to just say okay. I'm going to stop it there. We can add a little bit of line shading. Of course, we'll get rid of all our pencil marks. We can continue with the line shading. So, I just do these little broken lines on. Where the petals meet one another gives me a bit of depth. I want to add the leaves of the rose. I'll do that by simply drawing them in pencil first. So, I'm sure that I like where they're placed.

There's nothing wrong with doing everything in pencil first. Before you go over it in that pen will add some veiny lines to each of the leaves. I'll grab my smaller pigma micron the o1 nib and I'll continue with the line shading adding a bit more texture to some of these petals. I might darken one side of some of the leaves that just adds a bit of depth and contrast as well. We're all done this is 12 flower doodles that I know you can master follow along with today's topic.

Source: Cool drawing idea

Post a Comment

0 Comments